- Rural Wisconsin ailing from workplace issues, a lack of housing and broadband December 28, 2020 - Wisconsin's new Office of Rural Prosperity says low wages, housing shortages and lack of high-speed internet access are among the issues faced by small towns and sparsely populated areas across the state.
- PBIS in Rural America: Addressing Barriers and Building on Strengths December 8, 2020 - OSEP Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Adapting PBIS Practices for Rural Settings: Remote Instruction Strategy Matrix November 20, 2020 - OSEP Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- What are the key features needed for successful PBIS implementation in rural settings? November 11, 2020 -
- Many rural Wisconsin school districts don’t have full-time nurses. Some don’t have any at all. August 17, 2020 - WSAW
- Majority of surveyed rural Wisconsin schools say masks not mandated, lean to reopening in fall July 30, 2020 - A majority of rural Wisconsin school districts surveyed earlier this summer said they wouldn’t require students and staff to wear face masks...
- Craig Albers Interviewed by WSAW July 21, 2020 - Inside the decision-making turmoil: For parents and school administrators, there’s no easy answers.
- Why More Wisconsin Schools Are Enrolling Fewer Students January 23, 2020 - Aging communities, fewer births are shaping the future of districts around the state.
- What’s Right With Rural? Teacher Speakout! keeps conversation going between rural Wisconsin teachers and education researchers December 5, 2019 - We hear a lot about the challenges of rural education: declining enrollment, limited resources and funding, difficulty recruiting teachers and keeping them. And at UW‒Madison’s Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC), much good work is being done to improve educational outcomes in the state’s distant, sometimes forgotten classrooms.
- Rural Teachers & UW–Madison Education Researchers Share Perspectives on STEM Education in Wisconsin November 25, 2019 - Third annual Teacher Speakout! featured 19 rural STEM educators from 18 school districts.
Rural Education Speaker Series
Towards a geography of justice: Rural equity and the promise of public education (PDF) – November 19, 2020. Mara Casey Tieken, Associate Professor of Education, Bates College.
– Video of presentation
Value of Place & Partnerships: Lessons from Rural Schools to Strengthen Educator Preparation – January 30, 2020. Jayne Downey, Associate Professor, Montana State University.
Statewide Efforts to Support Student Mental Health in Rural Communities – April 30, 2019. Rebecca Collins, DPI.
Wisconsin’s Demographic Changes: Impact on Rural Schools and Communities – November 13, 2018. Sarah Kemp, Researcher with the Applied Population Lab.
Connecting with Rural Communities – April 23, 2019
Jennifer Seelig, Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC), along with Gavin Luter and Dr. Joseph Holt.
Sponsored by Morgridge Center for Public Service, Association of Graduated Engaged Scholars (AGES), Rural Health Interest Group.
Education Partnership Series
Teacher Speakout! brings Wisconsin K–12 teachers to the UW–Madison campus to engage with the university’s education researchers. WCER hosts Teacher Speakout! to better inform and connect its research to the realities of Wisconsin classrooms.
- Teacher Speakout! – October 5, 2018
- Teacher Speakout! – May 15, 2017
WCER held the first Teacher Speakout! on May 15, 2017, when nine public school teachers from seven rural districts participated in a panel discussion and shared their experiences of teaching in Wisconsin’s small towns and rural areas.
Mutual Survival: Education Reform & Economic Change in Rural Wisconsin – February, 6, 2019
Jennifer Seelig, Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC)
Sponsored by WIES and WCER
Brokering Social Capital and Rural STEM Pathways – December, 6, 2018
Scott Byrd, PHD – Researcher with Maine Mathematics & Science Alliance
Sponsored with: The Network & Field Day
Wisconsin Rural Schools Alliance Conference – October 29 & 30, 2018