- Majority of surveyed rural Wisconsin schools say masks not mandated, lean to reopening in fall July 30, 2020 - A majority of rural Wisconsin school districts surveyed earlier this summer said they wouldn’t require students and staff to wear face masks...
- Craig Albers Interviewed by WSAW July 21, 2020 - Inside the decision-making turmoil: For parents and school administrators, there’s no easy answers.
- Why More Wisconsin Schools Are Enrolling Fewer Students January 23, 2020 - Aging communities, fewer births are shaping the future of districts around the state.
- What’s Right With Rural? Teacher Speakout! keeps conversation going between rural Wisconsin teachers and education researchers December 5, 2019 - We hear a lot about the challenges of rural education: declining enrollment, limited resources and funding, difficulty recruiting teachers and keeping them. And at UW‒Madison’s Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC), much good work is being done to improve educational outcomes in the state’s distant, sometimes forgotten classrooms.
- Rural Teachers & UW–Madison Education Researchers Share Perspectives on STEM Education in Wisconsin November 25, 2019 - Third annual Teacher Speakout! featured 19 rural STEM educators from 18 school districts.
- More Schooling Equates to Longer, Healthier Lives November 25, 2019 - A critical intersection exists between education and health, according to a consensus of researchers and evaluators from the University of Wisconsin‒Madison who have been working closely with rural schools, the community-school model and Native American communities in Wisconsin. Researchers say that better educated individuals live longer, healthier lives than those with less education.
- New Study Shows Wisconsin’s Rural Students Still Face Inequity November 13, 2019 - Many students in rural areas in Wisconsin and across the country are still facing inequity, according to a new study from the Rural School and Community Trust, a national nonprofit that helps rural schools and communities.
- Northern Mental Health Collaborative receives state mental health grant October 23, 2019 - The Northern Mental Health Collaborative — comprised of the school districts of Goodman-Armstrong Creek, Beecher-Dunbar-Pembine, Florence County and Niagara — recently was awarded $149,992 via a two-year grant from the Department of Public Instruction.
- WCER Experts Explain Critical Intersection between Education, Health October 14, 2019 - At WCER’s Rural Education Research and Implementation Center (RERIC), Craig Albers and his team are studying the self-identified needs of Wisconsin’s rural schools, including the problem of how best to address their students’ mental and behavioral health issues.
- RERIC Partners With Rural Wisconsin May 21, 2019 - Last fall, the Wisconsin Center for Education Research launched the Rural Education Research & Implementation Center, or RERIC (rare-ik)—a first-of-its-kind center in Wisconsin dedicated to improving educational outcomes for rural students, families and schools through rigorous, partnership-based research.
Rural Education Speaker Series
Value of Place & Partnerships: Lessons from Rural Schools to Strengthen Educator Preparation – January 30, 2020. Jayne Downey, Associate Professor, Montana State University.
Statewide Efforts to Support Student Mental Health in Rural Communities – April 30, 2019. Rebecca Collins, DPI.
Wisconsin’s Demographic Changes: Impact on Rural Schools and Communities – November 13, 2018. Sarah Kemp, Researcher with the Applied Population Lab.
Connecting with Rural Communities – April 23, 2019
Jennifer Seelig, Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC), along with Gavin Luter and Dr. Joseph Holt.
Sponsored by Morgridge Center for Public Service, Association of Graduated Engaged Scholars (AGES), Rural Health Interest Group.
Education Partnership Series
Teacher Speakout! brings Wisconsin K–12 teachers to the UW–Madison campus to engage with the university’s education researchers. WCER hosts Teacher Speakout! to better inform and connect its research to the realities of Wisconsin classrooms.
- Teacher Speakout! – October 5, 2018
- Teacher Speakout! – May 15, 2017
WCER held the first Teacher Speakout! on May 15, 2017, when nine public school teachers from seven rural districts participated in a panel discussion and shared their experiences of teaching in Wisconsin’s small towns and rural areas.
Mutual Survival: Education Reform & Economic Change in Rural Wisconsin – February, 6, 2019
Jennifer Seelig, Rural Education Research & Implementation Center (RERIC)
Sponsored by WIES and WCER
Brokering Social Capital and Rural STEM Pathways – December, 6, 2018
Scott Byrd, PHD – Researcher with Maine Mathematics & Science Alliance
Sponsored with: The Network & Field Day
Wisconsin Rural Schools Alliance Conference – October 29 & 30, 2018